Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fall colors, Microsoft campus, Redmond

Fall colors, Microsoft campus, Redmond


Equipment: Canon 20D, Canon 24-70mm

Image details: 24mm, f2.8, 1/1000th sec, ISO 200
Microsoft campus is a fun place to photograph fall colors on the eastside of Seattle. It is very easily accessible and there are a variety of composition options. The soccer field on the main Redmond campus bound by NE 36th st and 157th ave NE is a good place to start off your photo walk. The trees lining NE 36th Street usually turn red and the trees on the east and the south of the soccer field turn yellow.

The Overlake transit center is a good place to park for non Microsoft employees. It is walking distance to the Microsoft main campus. The soccer field has a walking track around most of it - I like to walk around the entire field till I find a perspective I like. Every year is different, not all the trees have the same degree of color every year.

NE 36th is lined with trees on both sides . The curvy road, leaves on the ground and the colors can be used for some and makes for some very interesting compositions using a wide angle lens. I like to photograph the street The street is best photographed after the trees start shredding leaves. I like to have color both on the streets and in the trees - it tends to make the picture pop. So you will need to time your visit at the right time in the fall. A lower depth of field (wider aperture) will give a surreal effect to your images. Experiment with different depths of field till you find the depth you like. I like to shoot fall colors on an overcast day. It tends to bring out the best colors and makes the picture pop.

Directions to microsoft campus

4 comments:

Denver Photographers said...

O man I love all those colors.

Grace | employment posters said...

These are maple trees right? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I love them so much. I used to grow a lot of them in Facebook's App named Farmville.

Vikkee said...

Thanks for article, I live a new blocks away and noticed some Great colors yday

Vikkee said...

Thanks for article, I live a new blocks away and noticed some Great colors yday